2/10/2021

Happy new year everyone! We had a great first season of planting veggies in our balcony "farm". Our tomato plants gave us a good harvest until December. Unfortunately a pest infected our cucumber plant which eventually spread to the rest of our plants in our tiny garden. 


We only have the spring onion and the mustard green still alive right now. The mustard green though is on it's way to its demise since it bolted already and is starting to produce pods. We'll be harvesting the seeds in a few weeks. 

Soil is very expensive here in Singapore so after doing some research I have found a way to treat the soil to make it ready for a new season of planting. I started with mixing hydrogen peroxide with water to soak the soil. I'll let it dry for a few days and then will do another soak. 

After a week of soaking I'll add a little compost to the soil to bring it back to life. We have a bit of compost from fruit peels and veggies we composted last year. It's ready for use now and would be great to add to the soil. I'll probably leave it in for at least a week before I start planting any seeds. Hopefully by the time I start planting again the monsoon surge will be gone already. Will need it to be nice and warm so the seeds germinate properly. 

For this new season of planting we plan to just plant a few veggies and keep the pots to a minimum so we can take care of the plants better. I'll probably plant tomatoes, bell pepper and mustard green. Will stay away from planting cucumber since that was what ruined our first season. I've so far been successful also with growing spring onions in water. It's been much better than when I did it in soil. 

What about you? How is your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment