2/23/2021

There were two types of soil I bought from an online store last year. I soon realized one soil was pretty good and just lacked nutrients. The other one was dead and brought with it pests! This soon affected our plants and all of it eventually died because the pests became uncontrollable. 

Soil is quite expensive here in Singapore so I did some research on how to treat the soil using safe methods. I identified the issues that we encountered with the soil and then looked for advise from expert gardeners. There were two common home remedies -- using baking soda or hydrogen peroxide. The issue we had with our soil was fungus and bottomless pests. I knew we also had to kill the larvae residing in the soil. The best remedy for that is mixing hydrogen peroxide with water and watering the soil at least 2x within a week to treat it. 

Here's how one of the pots looked like -


I mixed a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in 1.5 liter of water. Poured a generous amount per pot and allowed the sun to dry it up for a few days before I did the process again. I did this for all the pots at the same time to ensure that the pests don't just jump to another pot. Surprisingly one of the pots started to sprout mustard greens! I guess the seed got inspired to sprout because of the healthy add on to the soil. 

Here's how the pot with the pests looked like a few hours after drenching it with the hydrogen peroxide mixture -


Before we start planting I'll add some compost first to the soil and will let the soil rest first for a week or two before we start planting again!

How about you? How's your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment