7/11/2020

Plant Fertilizer from What You Have at Home

When I started planting in early May I didn't have that many gardening materials. I just had a small planter with 4-year old soil that was probably dead. It's been two months since I planted tomato scraps and I still don't have that many gardening materials since I haven't been able to go out. I've just been using the following home scraps as fertilizer for my plants.

My plants are always hungry for nutrients. Unfortunately the soil we have here isn't the same as what we have back home. I use spiked water twice a week to provide nutrients for my plants. Here's what I use regularly:

(1) Rice Wash

My tomato plants absolutely love rice wash. I normally discard the water to wash rice on a pitcher and leave it overnight before watering the plants with it.

(2) Egg Shells

I save the shells from the eggs I use for a week or two. Boil them and use the water also for watering (let it cool of course!). I dry the egg shells and then grind them. I put a tablespoon on each pot every other week. I read it's supposed to provide calcium for the plants.

(3) Banana Peel Tea

I've just learned about this recently and I'm steeping the banana peel in water overnight. It's supposed to encourage flowers to bloom. I'll probably add the banana peel to the compost bin after.

(4) Used Tea Leaves

Sweetie drinks a lot of tea. He's been adding used tea leaves to his dill and we've added some to the compost bin.

(5) Sugar

I learnt this from one of my neighbors. Mr. Cucumber's leaves drooped last week so I added a teaspoon of sugar to a liter of water. Watered Mr. Cucumber with it and saw how fast Mr. Cucumber recovered.

I just also learned that there are other common items at home you can use as fertilizer for your plants. I hope to try pasta water and vegetable wash. I usually throw these away after using, so it would be good to see if it's effective.

I only water my plants with these concoctions twice a week. I still need to research more about how much fertilizer plants can take.

Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment