2/21/2011

Gardening Full Speed Ahead, Lessons Learned

I took a break from blogging here because I thought I'd focus first on making sure that my plants would live. My sister bought me a couple of herbs when we were in Tagaytay last December and one out of five died. I luckily managed to bring back two into good health and the other two are still under observation (but showing signs of getting revived).


Watering. One thing I learned from buying from Mahogany Market is "don't believe everything that the tinderas tell you". They told me that I should water the plants twice a day. Little did I know I was drowning them already. I managed to keep four of my plants from dying because my Mom did a spot check on me and said that I was over-watering them. I got a handy tip from an elderly tindera when I went back to Mahogany Market two weekends ago. Water your plants when the soil is sandy. She said that was her rule of thumb. My plants have remained healthy since I followed that advise. Also water the plants early in the morning or in the later part of the afternoon.

Sunlight. My tiny garden would also only get some direct sunlight from six to nine in the morning so I moved all of the plants I bought to the back of the house where they would enjoy more sunlight. I have some plants who like getting sun all-day (i.e. the angel plant), but for my herbs I placed them where they would get direct sun only in the mornings.

Wind. When I transferred my herbs to the back of the house I didn't realize that it was so windy where I placed them. Good thing I noticed it and saved them from destruction. I also placed reinforcements on some of them. I couldn't find any wood sticks I could buy (barbecue and popsicle sticks are too short), so I got some balloon sticks. It's working so far, hopefully it should be okay (please leave suggestions if you have any).

Aside from tips from my Mom and trusty garden sellers I've been reading a lot about gardening online as well. I never expected that I would fall in love with gardening, but its relaxing and fulfilling hobby.

Have you started your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment