5/27/2020

Growing Bell Pepper from Supermarket Veggies



I recently made some embutido. I used red bell pepper which has been in the fridge for awhile now. As I was slicing the bell pepper I had an idea. I thought maybe I could plant the seeds from the ingredient I used for my dish. There was no harm trying so I did. 



I set aside the seeds from the bell pepper and researched first. After watching some videos on planting bell pepper from seed I took two of our small pots and planted some seeds. I treated it as an experiment since I was not sure whether the seeds would still sprout after being in the fridge for a few weeks. 

It would take 8-10 days before bell pepper seeds start sprouting. We watered the pot with rice wash on day 6. I told Sweetie it was a recommendation by one of my friends. I thought it might be good to water the pot with rice wash since I felt the soil didn't have enough nutrients already. 

Lo and behold on day 8, something started to sprout. I was really amazed since I set my expectations really low. 



Day 9 was a more existing day since more sprouts started to show. I was pretty pleased to see the five areas I planted on had something to show. 



Day 10 the sprouts were starting to look more solid. I'm starting to do some research now on how to transplant the sprouts when they grow a bit bigger. Also trying to understand how much watering we must do. Need to make sure we don't overwater the sprouts since the roots might rot and weaken the sprout. 



Exciting days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment