6/17/2020

Friends have been pinging me to ask how my tomato plants grew so fast. A few weeks ago I shared how I planted slices from one store-bought tomato in a container. I re-potted some of them when they were just three weeks old. After that I didn't expect that with some more breathing room that they would shoot up so fast. They were like this a month after sprouting.

The tomato forest!

My friends told me to re-pot them already since they needed more nutrients. To avoid transplant shock I decided to "treat" the soil a few days before I re-potted. I fed it rice wash and crushed boiled eggshells. They looked much better than the first batch that was re-potted.



Some friends told me that their tomato plants have been slow to grow. I had re-potted some of the tomato plants into a coco peat pot and that set have been slow to grow too. The exponential growth came from the container where I planted the tomato slices.

When I planted the tomato slices in the container in early May I knew the soil wasn't really healthy. The soil was already 4 years old and came from a bag of soil I bought from the supermarket. We tried to grow seeds in it in our old home and nothing we planted to survive. I'm no gardening expert, but I have friends who have been giving good advise.

They look like they're starting to flower.


When I started gardening in early May I just had a container, some very old soil and store bought veggies. I told myself I wouldn't buy any gardening materials until I manage to grow something from seed. Here's what I did in the past month which helped my tomato plants grow so fast:

1. Used one store bought tomato (and yes it was in the fridge for about two weeks already).
2. The plants get morning sun everyday and are watered early in the morning by hubby.
3. Watered the soil with rice wash once a week for two weeks since the tomato sprouted. And then twice a week after.
4. Put some crushed egg shells on the soil and just left it there.
5. The first re-potting caused transplant shock so I fed it with rice wash the day after. And then gave it cooled boiled eggshell water two days after. They were okay after that.
6. I crushed the boiled eggshells and gave a teaspoon of it per pot.
7. I talk to them.

I haven't put any compost or chicken manure or fertilizer on the tomato plants. I want to keep it organic for now, but I'm reading up on whether I should add more nutrients to the soil. I make sure the plants aren't overwatered, but I check early in the afternoon whether they need more water. So far they don't. And that's how my tomato plants grew so fast. Do note I do not have a green thumb. I just did a lot of research, got sound advise and followed my instincts in taking care of the plants. I'd like to believe that Mr. Sunshine and Mr. Rice Wash contributed a lot to the good health of my plants.

What about you? What tips and tricks do you have with gardening?

No comments:

Post a Comment